This Easy Vegan Chili Recipe has everything you’re looking for in a healthy, vegetable- and protein-packed soup. Plus, you can make it 3-ways: on the stove, in a slow cooker, or in an Instant Pot. Read on to make the best vegetarian chili in the world.
Prep time: 22 minutes
Cook time: 38 minutes
- 10 oz. (283g) king oyster mushrooms
- 1/2 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tbsp. smoked paprika
- 1/2 tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 large tomatoes, diced (about 3 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups (360ml) tomato sauce
- 2 (15oz / 425g) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup (240ml) water or vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt, to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper, or to taste
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Corn chips
- Coconut yogurt
- Vegan sour cream
- Sliced jalapeño
- Grilled corn
1. Clean the mushrooms with a damp paper towel or a mushroom brush.
2. Using a fork, hold the mushroom from one end and shred it into pieces. Place the shredded mushrooms in a mixing bowl.
3. Sprinkle the mushrooms with chili powder, paprika, cumin, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix well to coat.
4. Prep the remaining veggies. Chop the carrots, tomatoes and dice the onion.
5. Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or large heavy pot over medium-high heat.
6. Add the mushrooms, onion, and carrots to the pot. Sauté, stirring often, until the veggies begin to soften, 5 to 7 minutes.
7. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
8. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, beans, and water or broth.
9. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to low.
10. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes, or until the beans are very tender and the flavors meld.
11. Season with sea salt and pepper to taste.
12. Serve with toppings of choice. Enjoy!